Saturday, June 15, 2019

Birth


 Spring runoff trickles
Through the coulees.
Patches of eroding snow
Cling to shaded hillsides
Where April sun tentacles
Never reach. Crocus
Poke up purple heads
To test the air
For sun-silly buttercups,
While hundreds of tiny blossoms,
Imposters of snowflakes,
Lie low to the ground.
Ground spongy, wet, mushy;
My horse’s hooves
Make sucking sounds,
Planted and uprooted,
Planted and uprooted,
Leave holes which seep
With urine stained snowmelt.
Cattle smells, pungent,
Mingle with dusty hay
And bruised sagebrush.
My horse sweaty
Between blue-jeaned thighs,
I ride the crest
Of my own earthy season,
Nineteen and pregnant.
I ride the circle,
Search for tonight’s
Maternity cases.
Matronly heads turn inward,
Society dames whisper secrets,
Bulky bodies surround scattered bales,
Rear ends conveniently upthrust
For inspection, bovine jaws
Methodically crunch fodder.
Mona Cow had twins again;
Nice heifer calves,
Good breeding stock.
A newborn huddles in the wild-rose,
Early abandoned by an indifferent mother,
Feeling more maternal
With full bag dripping.
She complains loudly
Over in the next draw.
My horse nudges Mama
For wet licks, rough tongue
Reunion on damp calf hide.
Slurpy sucking, lose one tit,
Plunge in for another.
Mothered up.
I cut out two heifers
Heavy with calf and trail
Them into the barn corral,
Follow, watch snatches
Hang loose and floppy,
Wonder if mine
Will look like that.
The sun slips
Between gestating clouds
And I shiver,
Glad for the horsey warmth
On my legs, for the feel
Of prickly brown horse hair
Invading the place
Of my own brown hair, warm,
Wishing the birth of my baby
Be accompanied
By the same smells and sounds.

But it isn’t.
Hushed. Anesthetic.
White. Harsh.
My body cold,
Strapped to the table,
Spread-legged,
Feet upraised,
Clamped in stirrups,
Riding a metallic horse
Into the pain.
I want to hide in sleep
Because I know birth
And this is not birth.
More doctors
Rush to assist.
Please let me sleep.
Help us, Honey.
Push now.
All we can give you is oxygen.
All I want is sleep.
One more push.
Hushed whispers.
Soft sounds rustling.
Purposeful futility.
My eyes are closed.
My heart is closed.
Someone slips
My baby away
Into the silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This too shall pass and coffee

            This too shall pass and coffee ___________________________________________________________________________________________...