Wednesday, June 19, 2019

No Stranger


I tried to run from danger,
No stranger, I. Danger, past
Or present. Tomorrow?
I run, I run treadmill loops
Head to Heart to Gut,
Struggle to stay upright, run
Away, away only to circle
Back, hide behind my door.
Danger knocks. Hide under
Comforters no comfort
From monsters in my bed.
Run, run, scared, scarred,
Collapse on my last breath.
Wobble to my knees
Pursued by ghosts of self
Until I land, bruised,
On a mirror reflecting.
In that water I held fear,
Could run no longer
But only stand and let the current
Carry me where it would.

Reflections of Sorrow,
Her face in the back window,
Tears streaming, hands splayed
In supplications, begging me
To fight a power
I could not overcome.

The room was cleared,
Drawers emptied, closets bare,
Clothing, toys, children
In garbage bags,
Stolen.

Forty years later and today
The slash through my heart
Bleeds ice shards. The danger
Is the image I see in the mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This too shall pass and coffee

            This too shall pass and coffee ___________________________________________________________________________________________...