Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Camel Sweat and Other Songs


Camel Sweat and Other Songs
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Lapsang Suchong satisfies me
In ways no other tea can. I pour
Boiling water onto the leaves
And comfort my face in steam.
Tea and memories swirl
When I allow the solitude.
I swallow the last sip.
Campfire smoke lingers
On my tongue.

When I cross the mountains
Going east, my heart sings.
I fell in love with my first husband
Because he smelled of saddle leather.
Pungent sagebrush in dry autumn
Evening makes me homesick
For the first good years we shared.
I stand beside my son’s grave,
Head raised into the prairie wind
Hoping it will carry off my sorrows.

But they return
Mixed with other tears
And blow into my face
When I walk barefoot
Across Pacific tide flats.
I return to my cabin, pour
Boiling water over tea leaves,
Burn sage I brought from home
And comfort myself.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

This too shall pass and coffee

            This too shall pass and coffee ___________________________________________________________________________________________...