Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Miles, Hours, History


My sister lives in Billings,
A four hour drive down an empty road
Sagebrush south toward Wyoming.
We are separated by history
More barren than this winter geography.
Once I picked tender rhubarb, first fruits,
An offering of the grace of spring.
She backed away, spit words at me,
Don’t you remember, I am on a diet.
What am I going to do with these?
She refused to go to dinner with me.
I need to feed my dog, my cat.
I never know what will trigger
Her hurt. I search for magic
To erase the madness. I write
Chatty letters to bridge the gap,
Each letter harder to write. Pain
Measures a short distance long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This too shall pass and coffee

            This too shall pass and coffee ___________________________________________________________________________________________...