Tuesday, June 18, 2019

The Cabin


1983. Fatty offered me
His isolated cabin on the Missouri.
He’d supply food and firewood, lamp oil,
Leave me for a month-long retreat.
He said to me, You will never find peace
Until you remove outer distractions
And look within. Terrified, I refused.

Eventually I found counselors
Who drew me out, bit by bit. Always,
I held back secret places, perhaps
Secret only to myself. Half measures
Seemed giant steps to me.

Thirty-five years later, in Mexico,
By choice, I live alone in a brick cabin,
On a ranch on the outer edge
Of an inland village, my Paradise,
Surrounded by beauty so intense
That upon arising, I greet each morning
Knowing it to be a Gift, my life
Pared down to a bare simplicity.

In moments of nothingness,
Paired with dreams I’d rather not,
In essential pain, in memories ugly,
From the incomprehensible
Comes new understanding.
Other truths, complexities easy to avoid
In the cluttered world. Forgiveness for
The unforgivable. Courage. Peace.

Fatty was right. I wish I could tell him.
But, perhaps he knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This too shall pass and coffee

            This too shall pass and coffee ___________________________________________________________________________________________...