Wednesday, September 11, 2019

A Knowing Place


__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A place of no place.
A time of no time.
Experiences impossible to share.
            A path along the Quilcene River
            A rock of a height
            To rest my arms, lean
            Into her mossy top.
            She took me in.
            With fear I immersed
Into the soft rock,
            Afraid I would not
Want to return.
I took a friend to show him my rock.
I wanted to tell him my story.
There was no rock.
I returned days later. Alone.
Left offerings of beach agates
On top of my rock.
            I’ve learned to keep spiritual journeys
            To myself. In a forest,
            Five time-zones west of Quilcene,
            A living, pulsating marble wall
Encircled me. By my feet,
Stood a tree, tied with balloons,
            A rainbow fiesta. That wall
Still encloses me, warm. Rock.
Looney Tunes. Rubber-room material.
Nobody would have believed me.
Friends, well-meaning,
Want to explain away Spirit
With Science. I prefer my crazy
To your science.
            So I don’t talk about the warm stone
            I picked up on a cold beach
            On Dungeness Spit, a heart stone.
            Or visiting my dead Grandmother’s
Disappointments to help me forgive her.
Or the folds in time a few of us know
Along roads in Kitsap County.
            Or the shadows that keep me company
            And let me know I’m never alone.
I cannot enter your knowing place
Nor can you enter mine, this place 
Where I know things I cannot know,
Where silence is a thick presence,
Where all my life that ever was and is
And will be resides.    
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

This too shall pass and coffee

            This too shall pass and coffee ___________________________________________________________________________________________...