Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Late Bloomer


__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sneaking out, up to no good,
A tryst with a boy in his car,
I rode my bike a mile
To the end of our country lane.
My scruples and fear kept me pure.
Back at the house, my Dad
Dangling binoculars at his side.
What were you doing? Nothing.
He shook his head, grimaced,
Turned and walked to the barn.
I was sixteen, trembling, caught,
Full of guilt, shame. Ugly memories,
Even imagined, grow and lock in place.

Meanwhile, my sister, thirteen, crawled
Out her bedroom window near’ every night,
Walked to town, smoked, drank beer,
Drove country roads with boy-friends,
Hefted back through her window
As the sun rose. She laughs at me.
Her memories don’t waken her.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

This too shall pass and coffee

            This too shall pass and coffee ___________________________________________________________________________________________...