Wednesday, September 11, 2019

March, Mt. Shasta


 __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Through snow I climb
My trail of no trail,
Follow my Wayfinding Bone
In search of grandmother cedar
Or regal fir with reaching branches,
Worthy. But, a burned out husk,
A black and ragged tower stops me.
No, I argue. Not this travesty
Of a tree that used to be. No.
With resignation I let it draw me
Bow my head in acquiescence,
Not in reverence. I kneel
In the duff, push aside snow
With gloved hands and slab of bark.
From my pack I take candle, shell, rock,
Feather, sage and cedar, bread and water.
I spread a plastic bag for ground cover,
Altar. I remove my clothes, not even sun
To fool my skin, lift my eyes
To this deformity scarred by fire,
A reproach. Uneasiness. What am I to learn
From you? You’ve nothing left,
You’re all used up.
I arrange my offerings, drape
My scarf over head and shoulders,
Loosely. A quiet settles me.
With lighted candle, I burn sage and cedar,
Sway into a chant without words or form,
Give my naked self until I know hesitant kinship
With my tree, naked, burned out, used up.
A crow rackets to a landing
On the uppermost charcoal tip
And fixes me with his eye. I cry
Until I am empty. When I walk
Down the mountain, I know
My shell is all some eyes will see;
To some ears my voice will be offence.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

This too shall pass and coffee

            This too shall pass and coffee ___________________________________________________________________________________________...