Tuesday, November 12, 2019

What Are Words


__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 
What are words but inadequate
To tell what it was like
When Zinfandel ruled with chains?
I saw that I must fight my way
Across the wasteland
Lined with broken glass
That cut into my feet, my hands,
My knees where I stumbled.
There were no landmarks, no maps,
No guide to take my hand and lead me through
This gray with no horizon.
What are words?
Alone I fell into the scorn,
Suspended for an unnamed time.
In vain I sought the blackness
At the edge of obvious disdain.
Even this solace was denied.
When once my eyes closed
Behind my mind, I could not open
Them to look. I could not see
The way but felt a pull
Within. I clawed and struggled
And though a stranger to that place,
I knew its bounds, a wall of fear.
I knew because I laid each brick
Slung together with mortar  
Of flesh and tears and over time
Forgot whom I had caged inside.
I fought until my strength was gone
And in the quiet of No Place
I lay, indifferent, I had no words to care.

A grain of sand crumbled to earth,
Then, another, followed by another
Until the wall came down, destroyed
By the darkness of surrender.
A wish of air breathed sweet
Across my face and for the first time
I knew that I am. What are words to tell?
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

This too shall pass and coffee

            This too shall pass and coffee ___________________________________________________________________________________________...