Monday, April 6, 2020

First Church of Mortification


            First Church of Mortification
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
First time, in Church, with my Mom,
Three years old, me, all eyes and ears.
Methodist Church, North Salem, Indiana.
Stained glass, organ music, men in suits.
Women wearing “Sunday” rayon, hats and gloves.
Me, crisp new dress, shiny new shoes.
Communion Sunday, chips of cracker on a plate,
Glass thimbles of grape juice handed down each pew.
I watch, big eyes, I take, I eat, I drink.

“You are supposed to wait,”
Mom’s shrill whisper rings angry.
Everybody looks.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

This too shall pass and coffee

            This too shall pass and coffee ___________________________________________________________________________________________...