Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Flopsie


Hound dog ears on a rez dog body,
She had ears like dirty socks
Flopping in the wind, crossed
The River onto our farm
And Dad was none too happy.
I sneaked her table scraps.
She licked loneliness from my face.
She birthed her pups
In a river bank sandy depression.
I got real scared, like I said,
Dad was none too happy.
We loaded Flopsie and her four pups
Into the trunk of the Fairlane.
He made me come along and help.
Night. Twenty below. Dark
With only that thick blanket
Of stars to look, to see. Drove
South of Zurich, along Dead River Road,
Dumped my dog and her pups in the gravel
And drove home in silence.
No moon. Heater blasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This too shall pass and coffee

            This too shall pass and coffee ___________________________________________________________________________________________...