Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Rental


Some days I feel smug, cocky
That I have diligently examined
Old beliefs, cleaned house.
Last night I had a dream.
I lived in a rental, cluttered
With old furniture, broken
Chairs, stained rugs, a spare bed.
Things I didn’t use, I didn’t see
Until a woman came to rent
An upper apartment.
What is it like here? she asked.
It’s okay. I’m used to it.

I woke up. Clearly, I’ve more work to do,
Spaces to clear, chuck the cracked leather chair,
Roll the stained rub out to the curb,
Toss things I’m storing that aren’t mine,
Old hurts, resentments, imagined history,
All renting space in my head.
It’s okay. I’m used to it, comfortable.
Who knows what my life might hold
If only there were room
To get inside the door?


No comments:

Post a Comment

This too shall pass and coffee

            This too shall pass and coffee ___________________________________________________________________________________________...