Wednesday, June 12, 2019

The Empire Builder


I grew up with that train
Rumbling across the valley,
Parallel to the Milk River.
While out in the fields, I’d hear
A whistle, the Eastbound or the Westbound.
Would wonder why when the train ran late,
Worry when I heard that the Empire Builder
Had derailed in heavy snows in Glacier
Or that a freight had jumped tracks
Near Shelby and crews worked ‘round the clock.
When Dad sold the farm and moved to town,
He built his house across from the tracks.
Freights roared through my bedroom
When I visited, though I slept, comforted.
Everything seemed good when the trains
Ran on time (but I know an entire country
Was hoodwinked by that sentiment).  Now I ride
That train every year, through the mountains,
Across the prairies to home. Pinching pennies
Has always been my necessity but this year
I lived high on the hog. I rode the mysterious
Sleeper in comfort, blanketed, fed and waited on,
My wishes granted before they’d formed.
I was Queen of the Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This too shall pass and coffee

            This too shall pass and coffee ___________________________________________________________________________________________...