Tuesday, November 12, 2019

The Way We Are


__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
We are born. We are taught, this is the way
I live in this family, this neighborhood,
This country. I look around. I want to fit,
To look, smell, taste, act like you. I buy into
Pre-packaged beliefs, plans, ideas. As a people,
We dance in synchronization, a ballet
Indigenous to our area, our caste.

Until, one day, maybe, one person shifts;
He drapes beads around his neck,
Pulls on a tie-dye shirt, grows his hair
Long and shaggy, exchanges boots for sandals.
He searches, sees others who look like him.
They hang out. They look, smell, act alike.
Is he different? Is he a different “same”?

It’s hard work to make my life not be
An imitation, a reaction to family, friends.
I dig deeply into assumptions, mostly hidden;
Some scream hysterically in the light of day.
If I succeed, if I live with my own slant,
The trick then becomes, to not think
Everyone else should be like me.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

This too shall pass and coffee

            This too shall pass and coffee ___________________________________________________________________________________________...