Thursday, May 14, 2020

Tonight Alone Rainy August Hungry Empty Cold


       Tonight Alone Rainy August Hungry Empty Cold
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Time was, a drink would have helped
Or a swing around the dance floor
No-name cowboy holding me tight
In his arms as he made plans for later.
God, I tried that solution more than once.
Hell couldn’t hold how bad I felt.
Tonight I’ll sit here on the beach.

Alone isn’t the worst thing in the world.
Liking who I am alone with
Opens some doors; closes others.
Nothing is the same tomorrow,
Even the moonlight in your eyes.

Red sky broods over the water.
Artists would say it doesn’t look real.
 Incoming tide will wash shadows away
Not caring if my heart is lying on the sand.
You never looked to see if I am real.

And the tears I cry are the same salt
Until the pull of the sea
Gets into my soul
Undermining my hold on
Sanity which was
Tenuous to begin with.

Healing will come, I’m told, meantime
Uncomfortable is a skin I wear.
Night winds sing the blues low and mean
Groping my body leaving me
Ragged torn wounded walking
Yet another mile with regret my crutch.

Evening empties out the daydreams
Making space for night voices and neon,
Party-time in the warehouse of my mind
Turning dreams into nightmares,
            Night-mares into noon,
Yellow sun punching out another day.

Clouds are my comforter, covering
Over my nakedness, hiding my fears that
Love is perennial as the grass
            And will sprout and grow and
Die again while I sit on the beach.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

This too shall pass and coffee

            This too shall pass and coffee ___________________________________________________________________________________________...